10th Annual Diversity Summit
How do I access the networking space?
For our networking space we utilize a platform called Kumo Space. When you click the Join Social Space sign a new tab will open. You will be asked to sign in or continue without an account. If you have used the platform before or would like to use it in the future, please feel free to create an account. These instructions will follow what happens when you click “Continue without an account”
- You will be taken to a screen that says “You are joining Meet Easy”
- Your browser will ask you to allow camera and microphone access. Click allow for both of these prompts. This will “turn on” your camera and microphone. You should see yourself in a small square once you have allowed the camera access.
- If you miss this prompt (usually it will pop up on the left side of the URL bar, where the little lock is located) you can reload the page to have it prompt you again.
- Enter Your name in the name space
- Click on Video Call Settings to choose your camera and microphone if you would like a different camera than your system defaults.
- Click the yellow Join button
- You will be taken to a gallery of rooms. Select the room you would like to join. You will be able to see how many people are in each room by looking underneath the title. Each room only holds 30 people. If a room has 30 people in it already you will need to select a different room.
- Once you have entered the room you can move around and talk to other people.
- The bubble around you indicates the area you are listening and broadcasting to.
- There is a text chat in the bottom left corner to talk to others in the social space
- You can click the setting gear in the bottom right corner to change your alert settings as well as your camera and microphone settings
How do I move around?
There are multiple ways to move around in the social space.
- 🖱️ Click with your mouse or 👆 tap on your screen to where you want to go and your video will move to that location.
- ⌨️ Use your keyboard’s Up, Down, Left, and Right arrow keys. These keys will move you up, down, left, and right, respectively.
- ✋ On a phone or tablet, swipe towards a certain direction. This will move you in that direction.
Adjusting field of view.
You can zoom in and out to view more or less of your surroundings and other people in Kumospace. Zooming in and out can be easily done by clicking the plus (+) and minus (-) icons at the bottom left of the screen. Alternatively, pressing the + and – ⌨️ keys will do the same.
Who can hear me?
Sound in the platform behaves like it does in real life. The closer you are to someone, the louder they sound. We call this spatial audio.
This technology allows groups to organically form and dissolve in different areas of the same space at the same time. In Kumospace, the best discussions don’t happen in dedicated breakout rooms, but fluidly and serendipitously throughout the room.
Who can hear me?
Around your avatar is a faint circle which represents your Spatial Audio Range. You can hear anyone inside this circle and they can hear you. Anyone outside the circle is out of “earshot.” This is how you can have separate private conversations in Kumospace. You can hide the Audio Range Indicator and adjust the size of your Audio Range by clicking on “Settings.”
If you have difficulty viewing the full audio range, try zooming out with the minus (-) icon at the top right of your screen.
Can I see everyone in the room at once? How do I navigate the space?
Simply click on the Map button at the bottom right corner of your screen. This will show you where everyone is in the room and include their initials. If you hover over their initials on the map, you can see their whole name.
Pouring a Drink.
How do I exit?
Etiquette and Best Practices
- Mingle with the other participants.
- Avoid huddling near the door. Explore the room!
- Welcome new folks into the conversation.
- Feel free to break off into smaller groups.
- Say hello and goodbye to your host.
- Most importantly, have fun! 😄
How do I move between rooms?
To move between rooms:
- Move towards the door and then click on the Exit button to leave the room you are in.
- This will bring you back to the waiting room. You can now see all the rooms in the space. Simply click on another room to enter it. You’ll even take your virtual drink with you!